Frequency of Patients Eligible for Liver Transplant According to MELD-Na Score in Chronic Liver Disease due to Chronic Hepatitis B and C

Authors

  • Nazish Misbah Liver Transplant Unit Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS)
  • Anila Rahim Assistant Professor, Dow Institute of Radiology Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS)
  • Nauman Al Qamari Assistant Professor, Interventional Radiologist, Dow Institute of Radiology . Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS)
  • Nasreen Naz Director & Chairperson Dow Institute of radiology-Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS)
  • Sharmeen Nasir Dermatology Dow University of Health Sciences,
  • Shirin Jalaluddin Reshamwala Medical student Aga Khan University

Keywords:

Chronic liver disease

Abstract

Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the frequency of liver transplant in hepatitis B and C patients according to the MELD-Na score.

Methodology: A cross-sectional study on 260 patients of CLD secondary with hepatitis B and C were performed on Liver Transplant Unit of Dow University Hospital Karachi. Patients of CLD with positive hepatitis B or C, age of ≥ 18 years, and illness of ≥ six months were selected by consecutive sampling during the period of Six months from 21st November 2020 to 21st May 2021. MELD-Na score was calculated by using the international normalized ratio (INR), serum creatinine and bilirubin. MELD-Na score of ≥ 14 was used for liver transplant eligible patients.

Results: Out of 260 CLD patients, there were 143 males (55.0%) and 117 females (45.0%), with a mean age of 49 ± 12 years (18-60 years). Majority of CLD patients were reported with chronic hepatitis C 203 (78.1%) and the remaining 57 (21.9%) CLD patients with chronic hepatitis B. Mean of MELD-Na score in CLD patients was 15.6 ± 6.1 (7-37). MELD-Na score was ≥ 14 in 194 (74.6%) CLD patients that makes them eligible for liver transplant, out of which 48 (84.0%) were hepatitis B while 146(71.9%) were hepatitis C.

Conclusion: Study concludes that the rate of MELD-Na score was significantly high in patients of CLD with chronic hepatitis B and C that makes them eligible for liver transplant.

Downloads

Published

2023-01-13

Issue

Section

Original Articles